Wednesday 3 October 2012

Smiling Gnashers...

Dear Diary,
Today I went to the dentist and it went okay. As usual, I took my two pillows so that I can lie on the chair comfortably. Everything becomes like a military operation where I am concerned, ha ha! Just like any other time I take a visit to the dentist, I always hope for the best.
My dentist has gotten used to me and my needs. Like I always raise my hand or do the thumbs up whenever she asks me questions or if I need a moment break. Luckily she knows about the EDS and knows to be a bit careful with me. She has done wonders for my teeth, as when I first saw her; I still had stitches in from when I had 7 baby teeth out in Lancaster Hospital (who never unfortunately bothered to have a follow-up after the surgery) around two years previously. My gums were red and bled a lot, they weren’t healed properly. I had loads of gaps from where the teeth were taken out and I grew to hate my much-loved smile. Yes, she has done a lot of work, and the majority of it is due to the EDS. When she applies the gum cream, she always makes sure she keeps it there longer to just make sure I don’t feel the injection. We have learnt a lot along the way although she’s a very good dentist.
Anyway, after several hours later of having rest with my blanket and sleeping, I’m feeling a lot better. There are still a few places where it is still numb but I am happy looking at my smile. J
My shoulder is niggling at me like it usually does and I have to keep it still just to relieve the pain although I do move it as often as possible so it does not go stiff. The windy and wet weather isn’t doing my knee any good; I am finding it difficult to get comfy. It kind of feels dead in an achy way. I get slight shooting pains up my legs but think that this is probably due to the bad weather.
My foot is a little puffy and swollen too. This is something I like to keep an eye on in case it goes a funny colour like it sometimes does. The funny colour is because I have a circulation condition called Perniosis, where the blood spasms under the skins surface. There isn’t a lot that doctors can do for this. So it is left for me to raise it up when it gets too bad or not letting it get cold. I have had this for a few years now; it took me about six doctors to find out what it was. First I went to casualty in Lancaster, then to a GP in Lancaster, then they referred me to Podiatrist also in Lancaster (I was based in Lancaster at the time so this was around eight to nine years ago) who didn’t really have a clue. By the time I came to live back in Barrow, I was still having problems with it so I went to my GP, who referred me to the local Orthopaedic surgeon at FGH who then referred me to see a Vascular surgeon (I felt really anxious by this point and tired at seeing so many medics) and after a quick examination, I finally got a diagnosis! This becomes the norm for when you have EDS, being referred to one medic to another and then again.
Apart from all the aches and the visit to the dentist, today has been nice. I am grateful to have a loving family who look after me and it has been nice to have been in contact with my friends. J
I am going to have to go now as my shoulder is causing me some pain and it is feeling really tight, like it is pulling roughly against my body. Until next time diary...

2 comments:

  1. i love how you have ended this with "until next time diray....." it is like, so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s it is so bloody common for not having follow ups, its bloody annoying!!

    ReplyDelete