Monday 10 December 2012

Update.

Dear Diary,
It has been a little while since I last wrote to you so here I am with a little update for you. I hope you are ok...
I had an appointment with a Occupational Therapist at the hospital a few weeks ago, I nearly ended up not going as I have been having trouble with my bowels recently. 
Dr Wood (the Consultant Rheumatologist) referred me to the O.T for finger splints. At first the O.T thought she was going to struggle to find me anything that will be fit and still be beneficial but she made some out of some material that you put in extremely hot water and shape to fingers. They have Velcro to strap them onto my fingers. They are for use for doing things such as doing my nails and things where I need sturdy joints to do something like typing on laptop/computer. I only have them for my good (ish) hand with my band hand out of use. 
She will still look for some ring splints in a tiny size but at least I can try these ones and see how I find them. She is also having a look at special cutlery so I have a spare set like the ones I already have. I thought she was very nice and I found out that she hasn't dealt with anyone with E.D.S until me, told me that she was researching the condition before I came so she had an idea of what to expect etc. 
I had a little look on a local motability stall at wheelie frames and there is one that might be good for me, plus it's the smallest one they have, ha ha! I think it is around £50 odd for one. 
Today I received a copy letter from my doctors surgery saying that I have significant vitamin D deficiency which is probably partly related to my mobility problem (as it is quoted in the letter) so looks like I will be put on Vitamin D supplements. Like my dad said, this is the first of many of letters that I will get, telling me results from my blood tests I had done a few months back as Dr Wood wanted to check everything. 
Earlier I mentioned about my bowel troubles, from time to time I suffer from abdominal cramps, pains and severe constipation. I don't know if this problem is common amongst E.D.S. peeps. With support and encouragement, I have been changing my diet which has been really good. 
This cold wintery weather doesn't agree with my joints and muscles. It makes them ache more and I feel shattered quite often. 
Well that's it for this time, take care and speak to you soon Diary. Xx 

Ps I will post a picture of my finger splints when I next w

No comments:

Post a Comment