Friday 9 November 2012

Occupational Therapist

Dear Diary,
Yesterday my new Occupational Therapist came to see me and it was a positive visit. I was referred to her by my GP as she is referring me to several people to make sure I am ok and getting everything that I need.
After briefly speaking to other people with similar problems as mine and researching on the Internet, I comprised a list of equipment I think would help me. We went through my list after a brief but friendly chat about things.
I am going to try a few things, like this piece that goes under your mattress and sits you up with the press of a button, I can't remember what she said it called, but I think this will be great. Some days I struggle to sit up as I'm in too much pain to push myself up and have to ring through to the living room to ask my dad to help me up. I think this will also help my knee which at the same time will ease any discomfort I get in my hips so hopefully I will be able to sleep better.
As my current bath stool isn't really much good for me, I'm going to try a new bath lift seat which is meant for corner baths as at the moment, I feel I don't need a wet room just yet, that is something for in the near future. At least they have offered it for me. This seat goes up, down and swivels round so will just need to lift the feet up. It is a bit like my old one I had at my old house/flat, I think.
She is getting me a stand alone handle bar thing for me to grab onto when toileting if I'm in a lot of pain.
She is sending me a catalog to look at what crockery and cutlery I need, at least I can now get a second pair like the cutlery set I have now which I've not been able to get til now. I think she said a plate guard would be good so I'm not chasing my food and trying to hold a plate etc with just one hand, ha ha!
Oh she's getting in contact with my rheumatologist to find out more about hand/finger splints Andrew see what she suggests.
I'm glad to know that she is able to get me whatever I need and that I have a say in which I prefer too. The lady is very nice and seems to know what she is doing and talking about. So yes it was a very positive visit from her.
My pain hasn't been too bad these past few days although I've had a struggle to sleep every night since my last diary post and it has taken it toll on me today. The weather has made my leg worse with throbbing on top of the usual pain but at least the swelling has gone down now. My funny thing on my foot has pretty much got better too.
That's it for today Diary, bye xx

No comments:

Post a Comment